M-A's Meatloaf: the Healthy Kind!
Meatloaf is the comfort food-fix everyone loves to eat. Using organic ground turkey, panko or gluten-free bread crumbs instead of store-bought plain or flavored breadcrumbs, makes it healthy. No eggs or stocks- there is enough liquid from the chopped vegetables. Here is my own recipe on a healthy, hearty, tasty, Meatloaf.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through.
- In a medium saute pan over medium-low heat, cook the onions in oil until translucent, add carrots, celery, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cook until tender, but not browned approximately 10 minutes. Take away from burner.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 the ketchup or tomato sauce and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mixture with ground turkey and panko crumbs.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add spice to liking and ground nutmeg.
- Mix well and fill 3/4 full, 2-3 baking pans or shape onto a piece of tin foil and seal.
- Spread about one tablespoon of ketchup evenly over top.
- *Option: thinly slice red pepper and initialize meatloaf -personalize it!
- Loosely cover the loaf with foil. (Remove or open the foil the last five minutes of baking).
- Serve hot at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.